Home Page Wood Plans for Purchase Links to Sites that Sell Plans Index of Woodworking Magazine Articles Links to a Variety of Woodworking Topics Gift Guide for the Woodworker

Dresser Restoration

One of my relatives came to me with a very old dresser that was on its last legs and had been missing a top for the longest time. The following pictures detail the effort to restore it to a piece of furniture worthy of their daughter's bedroom.

Jen1.jpg (24993 bytes)Jen2.jpg (31806 bytes)These two pictures provide a good idea of what I had to work with to start. Not much was still together.

The first step was to address the structural problems; repairing broken pieces, cleaning up the joints and gluing the carcass back together, beginning with the sides, and finishing up with the back.  Along the way I stripped off most of the layers of paint with a safe stripper that worked really well. By the way, those Power Press pipe clamps are great! I highly recommend them, and they're available at Sears at a good price.

Jen4.jpg (30203 bytes)Jen3.jpg (50950 bytes)

Jen5.jpg (29291 bytes)The drawers were repaired next.

Jen6.jpg (29888 bytes)Next up, a top. No one seems to know what happened with the original, however a loose slate top was working as a substitute prior to the new MDF top I added. MDF worked well as it is dead flat, takes paint well, and was pretty easy to rout as I wanted to add a decorative bull nose edge.

Jen7.jpg (70237 bytes)Once I put fresh paint and hardware on, it began looking like a dresser that would be a compliment to any room. The hardware for the top drawers is original, so I was pleased that I was able to find a perfect match for the hardware on the lower drawers.

Jen8.jpg (22797 bytes)

The last picture shows the cedar that was used for the drawer bottoms. Although T&G aromatic cedar would have been preferred, the budget didn't allow for it.

Back to Completed Projects